Thursday, January 21, 2010

COUNT YOUR FRIENDS NOT YOUR MILES.........
A journey is best measured in friends rather than miles.
Tim Cahill
Oops I did it again..Yep I took the 100k option, well actually they make you run 67 miles and count it as 100k.
I felt great my legs and head were strong, I was ready for this one. What I wasn't ready for was a bladder infection that was starting at mile 10. F**K!!! It sucked. I held on as long as I could by mile 30 I was peeing blood.
I was suppose to run the whole race with Andy who was going for his 5th Hurt 100 finish.
He didn't want to leave my side(what a sweetie) but I finally made him leave me at mile 45 I think it was. I just knew in my heart I was going to slow him down and he wouldn't finish.
He left and lucky he did because he finished with 30 min. to spare.
I had a blast out there even though I couldn't run down hill much because of the pain. It sucks, that I still get these. I do everything to prevent them. I believe I didn't drink enough water the day before and it was hot out there. Stupid move by me ;-(
I fell 8 times on the course and messed my right knee up pretty good,
I am fine though and will be running the Fremont Fat ass 50k this Saturday.
I want to thank all the volunteers you were awesome especially Roy who just about killed me when he scrubbed the rocks out of my knees after I finish. That hurt bad.
But it needed to be done.
Thanks you to John, PJ and the rest of the HURT 100 group I love you all.
Joel & Steph thanks for the use of the car and Thanks to Patricia Carroll for letting us stay at your house.
Will I be back for #11 of course I will. 6 times 100 mile finish 4 times 100k finish. I will kick butt next year.

18 comments:

Jen said...

AWESOME! and welcome home. That trail looks crazy with all the roots. But you are always smiling and that uplifts me. I sent good vibes out to you while I was on my 25 mile version of the Avalon 50 (hurt knee) Jen

Drs. Cynthia and David said...

Sorry to hear about the bladder infection (those are the worst!), and that knee doesn't look too fun either! But I'm glad to hear you made it back safely. At least no ITB problem right?

We should be there on Saturday. I hope there are lots of slow people, b/c I won't be moving fast (foot injury).

Cynthia

carmen said...

I have a question..do you know why you get bladder infections on long races? I've noticed you posting about it before and I didn't know there was a link between them.

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

ahhhh damn thats a lot of rooots!!!

Congrats Catra on getting to the 100K mark under those issues. Way to go to you and Andy!

Running Diva Mom said...

I'm sorry that you couldn't finish and I hope that you're feeling better -- damn!! You continue to amaze me with all that you do -- WOW! Keep it up girl!

ultrarunner (Brian Philpot) said...

That really sucks! But it is just the start of 2010. More to come. 100k is still good, for the shape you where in.

Catra said...

Hi Carmen-
I have been getting them since 2002. Mainly in 100 mile races when it's hot. I went to a dr. and even had a catscan done. He said it is because I get dehydrated but I do drink a lot of water. I'm kinda narrowing it down to that I need to drink tons of water the day before. I take cranberry suppliments and d-mannose thought for sure adding the d-mannose would of helped. But it didnt. If I have only had it start that early a few times in races. if it happens later like mile 50 I can keep it from getting to bad. Since it's later in the race and cooler.
It's just part of life for me and I'm still working on figuring it out.

Catra said...

Oh great Cynthia looking forward to seeing you and David.
I'm thinking there will be a few slower people there. I might be slow. I'm thinking of running the 9 miles home after ;-) SO maybe a 40 miler for me.

Jen thanks so much take care of your knee. What happened to it.
It doesn't matter how far you went it only matters that you at least got out and ran. ;-)

Pinkcorker (Renee) said...

Catra,
Have you ever seen a correlation between taking calcium supplements and your bladder problems? I have to be careful, because by taking calcium, I develop urinary track infections, which can turn into a bladder infection, or worse, kidney infection.
Anyway, for what it's worth...Hope you are feeling better. Holy cow those knees look painful! But, as trail runners, I guess you kind of get used to that. :)
Renee

PunkRockRunner said...

"Only" 67-miles in paradise huh? Congratulations to both you and Andy on another amazing weekend.

All the best,

Ron

SteveQ said...

You might not have gotten finish #7, but that was a great race, given the problems. I look forward to seeing you at Western States! (I'm pacing, not entered)

Hone said...

Love the pics. Heal up and I will see you in a few weeks at TP.

Congrats to Andy for his 5th!! I love that race.

Jill said...

You rock!! Also just wanted to say you were a great "coach" at the WF get fit class I was in. I was kinda a drop out~8 mths preggers now! :) See ya around...

Anonymous said...

Catra, tell me about your toes. Are they blue? Or, do you have something on them to protect them in that last pic? And, congrats. You continue to amaze me and motivate me like no other. You ROCK!

-Libby

Catra said...

Libby I had tape on them. Oh and black polish on my toe nails ;-)

Anonymous said...

It wasn't a bladder infection, it was dehydration. You didn't drink enough.

Catra said...

anon- I do know my body and yes it was a bladder infection which I tend to get if I'm dehydrated. I drank tons during the event but it was the day before that caused.
I do my body and thanks for your concern. I have a great doctor actually a couple of them. They decided since I actually drink a lot of water anyways(that's all I drink everyday) that my body needs twice as much as other runners during a race.
I have been dealing with this for a long time. I never know when it will happen. I do everything to prevent it. My mistake this time not enough water the day before.

Jen said...

Catra: Knee surgery happened. I am getting thru' it. Just being on the trail is a miracle. Jen