Thursday, November 12, 2009

BE YOURSELF................
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
Ralph Waldo Emerson


You all know who this is..Yep, Rocky, I love this little guy. He has been part of my life for 6 years and it has been a wonderful 6 years. He loves to be with me and I love to be with him. I take him out almost every day for 3 miles. He loves the trails and he loves his run and walks.
There was a time when I was to busy to deal with him. But once I moved I decided I had to make sure he got out everyday. Most people think if they have a yard that's all their dogs need. That is so not true. They need to see the world they need to explore. Rocky is so much happier when he is out. I know I wouldn't want to be at home all day.
So I take him out every morning and at night my roommate takes Rocky out.

He is very special to me and I want is life to be exciting and fun. Rocky has traveled and seen more then most people in his life. He has been to Yosemite and Tuolumne many times. He has been to JTree several times. He travels to SoCal on a regular basis and has been on the Mount Wilson trail, AC 100 trails, Western states trail, Way too Cool trail and the Ohlone trail in Fremont, Sunol and Del Valle.
It makes me happy to see him out enjoying his life.
One of the best things I have done in life was to rescue him. Getting a rescue is so much more fulfilling then getting a puppy. I saved his life and he filled my heart with joy.
Andy and I are sad he's not with us this weekend because I flew down. But I know he is having fun hanging out with Jerry.
If anyone wants to get a dog go through a rescue or animal shelter. Save a life.



11 comments:

Anonymous said...

*Love* Rocky!

avabee said...

I'd like to shout out a huge "A-MEN" to this post! I have two rescued dogs, and I love them like mad. Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die! And Rocky is absolutely adorable. Congrats to you for saving him. :)

Carmen said...

Absolutely...rescuing an animal is the best way to go. Every cat and dog I've ever had has been a rescue. Most I've found as strays. It just feels so good when your at home, safe and warm, with your kitty/doggy/whatever...to know that YOU helped keep that animal safe, and bring him into a loving home. *sniff*

ultrarunner (Brian Philpot) said...

I feel the same way, love dogs they should enjoy life like everyone. I don't have a dog. With my work, running and a part time dad of 2 girl's, just not the time to make sure a dog is really happy.

voodoo child said...

You couldn't be more right. We adopted our yellow lab two years ago, someone had moved out of a house and just left him in the basement. He is the best dog (for us) and just fills our lives with joy. Dogs really are the best!

Libby said...

Catra, I read your blog all the time. You rock! Thanks for the plug about rescuing critters.And getting them outdoors. All of our pets are rescues. Keep running girl. You are such an inspiration for other runners. I always tell myself, if Catra can run 100, then I guess I can do 7 or 10 or whatever I'm doing that day. :)Love the tats! Libby

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

Hi Katra. I've been following you vicariously for a while now. Where do you get your WODs? Do you belong to a gym or do you get them straight from the website?

Ultradawg said...

Yes, could not agree with you more. Sarah was a rescue and she is the most amazing dog in the world. She runs with me everyday and has even officially completed two 5Ks with me where to register, you had to run with a dog. Sarah's my third rescue and will certainly not be the last.

trailturtle said...

BRAVO!
BTW, I'll be visiting the area in Dec. How do I find out about your classes at WF--can I come try one or two out?
Have fun, Ann

Jen said...

love this quote! :)

Jen said...

Love the quote at the begining of this entry!