Sunday, May 03, 2009

The Three Complaint Rule

Practice the "three complaint rule". When it comes to complaining, you are allowed to complain about something three times. After that either change your attitude, change your behavior, accept the situation or move on (and stop complaining).
Lucy MacDonald
Rocky and Andy running Friday, last training run before Miwok 100k which by the way we both finished. I will post my story tomorrow, but for now I just thought you would let you know we made it through.
I followed this saying I complained 3 times about the weather and then stopped. I let everyone around me know, we were all very lucky that we have strong bodies, and minds and that we can push through running 100k in bad weather.
Congrats. to all the finishers, and everyone who was brave enough to start the race. It was hard and we all had to battle with the demons in our heads to make it through.

7 comments:

Jo Lynn said...

I just stole that quote, hope you don't mind.

I'm glad you and Andy finished. I left after working 12 hours at the TV aid station and I saw Andy. He said you were back there somewhere.

avabee said...

HUGE congrats! You guys are awesome...and you are my hero! :) I ran my first marathon today, and I can't tell you how much your posts have meant to me during my training, and I thought about them again during the race. :) :) :)

kelly said...

Hey Catra, congrats on making it through Miwok yesterday. I heard the weather was awful. I hope you don't mind if I use your quote of the complaint rule on my blog. That is a great rule to remember. It sounds like you are doing well. Tell Andy congrats too. Take care.

Shannon said...

Can't wait to hear about the race. I love the philosophy on complaining.

Jerry said...

wow..I have been following your blog for a couple months and love the way you write and all of your photos but today's message, for me, was clearly the reason, assuming all things have a reason, that I came across your blog in the first place. After I read todays messege on complaining I had a light bulb go off experience...lately I have been complaining about everything and it needs to stop. I am going with the 3x and stop rule effective now.

Thanks and keep the posts coming

CurvyVegan said...

Love the 3 complaint rule! Thanks for the reminder.

Jakon said...

Been reading your blog for some time now, and it was a nice surprise to see your name mentioned about 1/2 way through Christopher McDougall's book. Great book by the way. Love your posts, and see you on the trails someday!
-Jake