Sunday, March 22, 2009

Images from the 1st annual Mount. Diablo 50k .
This is my buddy Jim Winnie. He use to pace me and crew me. He knew me like no other. He always made sure that I was eating and drinking. He will go down in history as my best crew guy ever. He helped me through so many races. He reminds me a lot of how my Dad was when he was alive. Several years ago Jim found out he had a heart problem and was basically told he could never run past a few miles again.
He had a defibulator put in. It malfunctioned a couple years ago.
He had a new one put in and it seems to be fine. He has proved all those doctors wrong. Running is no longer easy, and it is a gift to him. He is lucky to still be alive. he inspires me. I was suppose to run with him today, and I did a little but by the time I got to 17 miles I had to keep moving because my hamstring was getting tight, from last weeks 100. I knew he would be fine. he finished strong.
I want people to know when they say they can't run ultras because they are to old. Look at Jim he is 60 and still going strong and makes no excuses. It is a gift we have, this running thing. Don't forget that.
Me having fun with my new Sony Camera. i just got it yesterday because mine broke. I love this new model and all the fun features.
This is a lone flower I shoot it was the only one I saw like this on the entire trail
Mount Diablo far away.
Heading to castle rock state park. Super cool rock formations.

6 comments:

Mountain Goat said...

Catra, an especially touching and profound blog. Jim sounds amazing. I too have know some older folks who just never stop.

On the Wilson trail "Hiker Bob" was a good friend of mine. He used to run, but then just kept hiking..really fast! He was a fixture on that trail. He passed away 2 years ago from cancer. We miss him.

"Ray" is well into his 80's and I often see him still hiking Wilson trail. He was a Sierra Madre Search and Rescue team member in his younger days. He's wonderful.

You are right about our "gift". Today the marathon got really hard for me, but I kept thinking, every step I take is a gift. It helped me finish.

Thanks.

Anonymous said...

The first blooming Mule's Ear On Mt Diablo.

Steve Ansell said...

Jim is definitely one awesome guy. I had a great time running with him earlier this year at our Fat Ass. I'm glad to hear that the new camera worked well!

Anonymous said...

Hi Catra,

Ok, I bought some glucosamine and chondroitin on the way home from CF. The box says to allow 4-6 weeks before you begin to feel results. Hopefully it will be sooner!

Thanks for the tip!

Sara

Anonymous said...

P.S. You did great today on the time trials after your 50k run!

Catra said...

Good Sara make sure to use it ;)
see you tomorrow.
XOXO