Monday, March 17, 2008

All roads lead to Rome! Or in other words all paths lead to the same place. But before those paths lead us to anywhere we have to stop thinking about it and get on with it. This is a time of action and movement. Don’t worry if you make a mistake, we’re not perfect. If you realise you’ve made a mistake then make another choice and get back to the right path. Revamp objectives and approach life from another perspective.
© Stephen Haynes

Andy and I ran our very first ultra together Saturday we ran the Unknown ?k it was in the Cleveland national forest. It was a beautiful 33 mile course. The weather started off cool, it was a little cloudy. It got warm enough the first few miles to shed my jacket. It snaked around a crest and we climbed along ridges in this beautiful area. It was one of those days where you would take your jacket off and in 20 min. you were cold and had to put it back on.
There was 3 aid stations on the course, and there were out and backs into the aid stations, so you got to see the runners ahead of you.
We all had to pick Pokemon cards at the start and exchange them along the course. Who ever had the highest card won a ipod. Not sure who won.

I had a blast out there. We really took it easy out on the course. Andy has a 100 miler next Friday C2M 100. I also tried to focus on pose which really slows me down. We didn't mind running slow the most important thing was that we were together.
Oh, I forgot to mention we slept only a couple hours the night before. We slept in the back of Andy's Audi which is not a SUV. We fit in there perfect but it was freak'n cold out.

I just want to thank Andy for all the fun I've been having you're the best.
"I want to stand with you on a mountain, I want to bath with you in the sea, I want to lay like this forever, until the sky falls down on me."

3 comments:

Miki said...

Yay fun! I love the Pokemon card idea though I hate Pokemon. (had to work on a pokemon project in my software days). Looked fun Cat and Andy. :)

Jeffro said...

Is that a Moeben Sleeve on your arm?

Anonymous said...

Hi DD.

I follow your writing since the very first days in the trail/ultra forums and, when I was asked to suggest a top blog last week in a freaking interview for runners&bloggers, I did not wobble: Dirt Diva, said. "Dirt qué?", yeah. Just click ... and I quoted him some trail runnnind descriptions and some 100s you wrote about. Mate he was amazed!

So from now on you also have readers from Spain. I am giving a go to my blogroll and will edit some post in your honour. Waiting for the fresh winds to leave, and waiting for my next ultras, hug from Spain.

Spanjaard
(in case you click do not be scared, that rare from todays post wording is Dutch; normally posting in español)