Monday, February 05, 2007

ROCKY RACCOON 100.
I went to RR100 with my favorite Dirty girl Xy weiss. The plan was to run the whole race with her.
We did this at Javelina 100 back in October and had a blast!
The race started at 6am and it was 27 degrees. That's what someone said. I was very cold. We warmed up a little after we started running. I wanted to get us in in under 4 hours for the first loop, which I did.
Xy went into the race with a knee problem that developed after across the years 24 hour run in December.
I ran ahead and would wait at the aid stations. On our second loop she took a fall on her shoulder and told me she wasn't going to be having a good day. She told me just to keep going on my own. I got a little sad because my plan was to run with her, and now she was having issues. I tend to worry about my friends, but she knew she was having problems and didn't want me to have to slow down.
She later dropped at mile 72. Her IT band gave her problems and she slowed way down. She's doing the Grand slam and didn't want to develope a major injury that would put her out of the slam. She made the right choice to drop.

I ran a very mellow race I just wanted to finish. I ran this race in 1999 as my first 100. I struggled through and finished in 27:18. I just want to feel good and have fun.
Last month at Hurt 100 I got bummed out that I felt so bad and only ran 100k.

On loop 4 I hooked up with Butch from Texas. We had a good time. It got cold and we just wanted to get back to the start finish and put our warm clothes on.
I ended up putting on beanie, ear warmer, gloves with hand warmers, long sleeve shirt, vest, running jacket, rainjacket and pants.
That's how cold I was.
We headed out and were running as a team modivating each other through the night. Butch is a strong runner and I felt like I was holding him back. At one point I told him to go ahead and leave me and he said, NO!
That's why I love this sport people are so carring.
We ran 40 miles as a team and we gave it a good effort we finished in 25:08.

I ran doing almost 100% raw. I did not eat enough got sick of my crackers & raw foods bars. I ate only orange slices & banannas at the aid stations. Drank coconut water with pinapple juice. The last 10 miles I felt crappy so I ate fritos for the salt. So I'm not perfect. I also ran the race with a really bad cold. Which is worse today.
I still had an awesome time anyway!
Thanks to the RD & volunteers. Thank you Butch for hanging out with me for 40 miles.
And most of all thanks to Xy Weiss for sponsoring this run for me. Without her heart of gold I wouldn't of been running this race.
 Posted by Picasa

18 comments:

Chihping Fu 傅治平 (超馬阿爸) said...

Catra,

Congrat on your finish!

Nice to hear your story when the web site has no up to date info. It sounds like a global warming effect. Here we had a spring-like weather during weekend, while you're in TX running at freezing temperatures.

Yes, friends, co-workers, and family members around me are with cold (me had a little). But some like you still performed well.

Great job!

Chihping

JeffO said...

Congratulations, Catra. All that after a Master Cleanse seems phenomenal. You're so amazing it almost loses me - like maybe you don't bleed like me. You're so superhuman.
I hope I can stay injury-free this year. This one's a doozy for me. I could get slaughtered.
Running Collegiate Peaks 50, pacing Hard Rock, Badwater, running Leadville.

Good job.
Sorry to hear Xy had trouble.

flatfoot freddie (fer da' hitman) said...

yeah!!! Monster Congrats!!! Catra, keep rockin and rollin... it's cold over here too :)
happy days, da'hitman

Anonymous said...

Catra,
Congratulations on your finish at Rocky Raccoon. I was a volunteer at the highway aid station and I remember you coming through. I don't run but my brother does so I volunteer to support him and his friends. Watching you Ultra runners in action is just amazing and awe inspiring. Keep up the good work!
Sherry

that dave said...

amazing! way to go.

Ben, aka BadBen said...

Catra,
It was nice running with you for a while. I was having a bad running day, but I still had fun and met some great people (including you). I finished the race after doing a death march for many miles. I got my RR100 500-mile jacket, though. The runners, volunteers, course and the adventure sure make it a good time!

Happy trails,
Bad Ben

Kelly S. said...

Catra,

Congrats on yet another awesome finish! Your positive attitude and tenacity is truly an inspiration!

Kelly

Anonymous said...

Hey Cat'

Congrat for you good time!!!!
Good weather ,rain, cold..snow it's the better weather for me...lol...

love Ya
ju

Ultra Okie said...

Hi Catra, Sounds like it was unseasonably cold for that area, for this time of year. Glad you were able to have a good run and a good experience. Sorry to hear about Xy's problems though.

Did you run into any of my TATUR club running friends? I am on day 7 of the MC. So far so good. (still drinking 5-6 cups of coffe a day though. it is at least organic!)

Hope to see you soon.
STeve

aka Moogy said...

Congrats as well Catra. I remember seeing you at DamRoad in the middle of the night and feeling for y'all. On my way to FarSide to bring supplies I saw Dirty Girl and she seemed in not very good spirits. I also had picked her up in the truck (w/ three others) after they dropped and my heart went out to them all.
Hope things are well and take care...

Anonymous said...

I'm happy to be running marathons and 50Ks. You are an inspiration rolling through the 100s and living the positive attitude and nutrition. It's also fun to see your newest art work.

Good health and running

Steve

Anonymous said...

Catra, you were awesome to watch all day long! You were like the energizer bunny, just hummin' along. Truly inspirational! Sorry I was in such a funk when I had the brief chance to run with you. I finally got less grumpy when my 7-year-old son's favorite song played on my ipod. It made me laugh, and I decided to just enjoy my 2nd 100 miler. (I have a LONG way to go to catch up to you and XY!!)

Great work out there!

Lori

Olga said...

catra, awesome yet another one! sorry for xy's problems, and cold sounds really c-o-l-d!

Catra said...

Hey Chihping-
Thanks!

WOO HOO were both in for Wasatch!

Catra said...

Hey Jeffo-

LoL...Thanks!

Catra said...

Hey Hitman..
Thanks baby cakes :)

Catra said...

Hi Sherry-

Thanks for the post. That's awesome you come out for your bro :)
Catra

Catra said...

Hey Ben it was fun chatting with you!
Awesome job. That's so cool you got your 500 mile finish way to go!
Catra